It is not easy to train to be driving instructor. Alternatively, is it? With so many training schools coming up, it can be confusing when choosing the right college to attend. It can be intensely beneficial to work as a driving instructor. With a good driving record and great passion for training others, then this could be your career. You need to meet several requirements such as acquiring a valid driver’s license and high school certificate before you can register for a certification program. After you have passed training and obtained a permit, you can start looking for instructor jobs near you.
Step by step of training to be a driving instructor
- Get a valid driver’s license – before you can begin training to be a driving instructor, you require a valid driver’s license in the same class of vehicle you want to be an instructor. The permit must be valid in the state you are looking to be an instructor. People whose license have been recently suspended or revoked are not eligible. Those with a massive number of traffic offenses and fines in the past may not be eligible too.
- Be of age – most states require you to be at least 21 years old to qualify to offer hands-on, behind the wheel instructions. Those who are just interested in teaching in the class only should be at least 19 years old. Note that the rules can vary from one area to another. Check your local offices for more details.
- Have a significant/relevant driving experience – in most states you need at least experience of 2-3 years with a legitimate license before you become an instructor. The experience should match with the driving you to want to train.
- Have high school completion certificate or completed a GED program – those who have already finished high school needs to show proof to your state officials to be certified. Those who have not need to finish a GED or equivalent training program before applying to the certification program.
- Be able to pass a necessary health screening and a vision test – passing a vision test is a requirement of becoming an instructor. You should get glasses fitted with a prescription that is up to date if it is necessary. You need to pass a basic physical too. Some states might ask you to take a mental test also.